Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Parenting: Baby and on the Move

Have you ever watched how specific a baby's first moves are?  Every single one of my children have moved differently.  I had a first baby I never thought would crawl, surprising me at around ten months he had perfected his crawl privately.  My second child was completely different, fearless.  She was crawling around four and half months...I still have trouble believing it, but she was and is still just as energetic today.  My third child was not in a hurry to move and neither was my fourth.  They both crawled around eight months old.  Now my fifth child, she is the most creative of them all.  I thought we were good for some time since Bria does not like being on her tummy anymore.

Just because a baby does not want to work on tummy time does not mean we will have one of those peaceful babies like my first.  Just last week she scooted off our bed as an upside down inchworm.  Thankfully our bed is close to the ground.  Shortly after this, Bria  began exploring our living room the same way, the upside down inch worm crawl.  I cannot leave her on the floor for long or she will inch her way under a chair.  She has learned how to roll over from her tummy to explore her favorite way.  Her activity level is topping the charts in out house.  She is fearless much like the oldest girl.

So here I am with a very active five month old and four more kids, not to mention I just decided to undertake potty training my almost two year old girl.  Now I began potty training Dominic, my almost three year old, at around eighteen months old and I am just starting to see a little boy who just about never wets his pants.  We still use a diaper at night, partly because neither my husband nor I get up in time to get him to the potty when he first wakes up.

As one can imagine, days right now are hectic and complete chaos.  I am imagining trying to homeschool next year and I am not sure how it will happen.  All I know is that homeschooling has been an ideal for my husband and I and now that we are faced with another school aged child, we are realizing that we need to make a choice.  I love the little private school my son is in, but I also want to have a family that learns together and is close.  Plus, it would be nice to not feel stressed all week about getting a child to school on time when the rest of us do not need to go anywhere.

With kids moving and growing really fast, I keep thinking about how much I want to cherish this time.  The last week so far has been challenging, but I know that ten years does not seem that far away and before I know it my kids will not need me as much as I do them.  It is easy to feel entitled to a perfect organized world, but that will never be the case and I like it that way.  Yes, I want to be in control, and for the important things I am, but one can only control so much.  Babies will crawl their own way, kids will take years to potty train...in the end they have to make decisions too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment