Sunday, August 12, 2012

Projects: Size Large Cloth Diapers

 Mom wow, you made me some more cloth diapers!
 What color do I like the best and how are these diapers different from the last ones you made me?  So far no diapers have been made the same.
 Gussets and snaps?  Hum...these should really help me out.  Taking the extra time to sew in a gusset may seem like a bit of a pain, but it is sure worth it for a bigger baby.  When the food source is no longer just breast milk, cloth diapering is a whole new story.  Let's just say, poop can end up on the floor, if the diaper fit is not just right.
Simply find a piece of scrap fabric, the part that one cut the leg part of the diaper usually works best and is useless for much else.  Then measure the length of the leg hole with a piece of elastic and cut it.  Then cut in half.  One half of elastic is for each side of the diaper. 
Stitch back and forth at the top of the gusset to keep the elastic in place and then do the same at the other end of the fabric and elastic.  Then you are ready to sew in the gusset.  Just fold fabric around the elastic and sew.  It looks more complicated than it actually is. 

There you go...gussets.  Let's hope these stop some leaks. 

Bria is not sure what she thinks about these diapers.

I also learned how to put snaps on my diapers.  Only one third of my diapers have snaps because I did not realize that ordering 200 snaps means that it takes four components to actually have a functioning snap.  I needed twelve sets of snaps for each diaper, so 200 hundred snaps made only five diapers.  I also have some basic snap pliers, so my snaps need to be pressed again sometimes to work as well as the snaps found on professionally made diapers.  The plus to buying snaps, is I am in control of the colors and in honor of watermelons, I have pink diapers with green snaps. 

These diaper making days have been fun.  I even made up my own pattern this time for a change.  Let's see how long these diapers fit.  Will this be the size that gets us to potty training? 

Now onto if it is worth it to make diapers.  So far my many diaper making days have added up to almost the price of one stash of store bought all in one diapers.  (consider diapers that require one to buy different sizes.)  Some diapers are one sized diapers, but many come in sizes.  Price is different depending on what kind of diaper one wants to buy.  If one wants to save money, just get prefolds and covers, but if you want something easier to use, but do not want to pay hundreds of dollars, make diapers.  It is fun and it does cost less.

No comments:

Post a Comment