Friday, August 23, 2013

Memories, Keeping in Touch

Did you ever just wake up and feel like all of a sudden your friends of years have just slipped through the cracks?  Sure we look at photos on Facebook, and send quick one line Happy Birthdays.  Everyone is busy.  I can find something to do every second of the day at this point and no that does not include glancing at a smart phone every five minutes.  I am sure I would stare at that phone if I had one.  I check my email around 2-3 times a day along with Facebook. 

I think the more I delete junk mail and look at people's posts, I am still in touch with the world outside my house.  I can have a day where I know what so many people are up to without having to put much energy in the friendships.  Don't mind me for complaining.  I love Facebook for keeping up with people who live far away, for relatives and friends in other countries.  What I don't like is the fact that I used to take the time to remember birthdays and actually call people...I still call a short list.  Most of my emails where actually letters, not advertisements.  I never used to think that a coupon in my inbox was all that exciting, but now it is the better coupon email that I open instead of REAL emails.  You have to write emails to get them...I tell myself.  So I have decided to try and write more emails.  Maybe my news is lame to me, but it could be quite interesting to people I barely speak to.

Am I going through some kind of 30 something crisis?  Am I just a bored mom of 6?  How can you put bored and mom of 6 in the same sentence?  I am slowly seeing the world turn inward and forget about actual people, relationships, friendships.  I am thankful I am married and not trying to date in such a cold world.  Yes, there are old connections and friends of friends, but this is a day in the life of me...the phone almost never rings and when it does it is my mom, husband, or one of three friends who call me still and I call them.  I get up, workout and take care of the family, it really is a full-time job.  The house is never perfect at this point and laundry day is everyday.  Cooking takes a few hours a meal if you include clean up.  I get an hour or two to sew diapers, curl up on the couch and watch a show, or maybe eat lunch in quiet.  Then the kids are up from nap.  It is time to get dinner on the table, keep the kids from fighting nonstop, and bedtime takes a few hours.  We are strict about sleep so I get a few hours with just my husband every evening too.  And then it is the next day. 

I don't know who my neighbors are really.  I met one couple on my street and we have lived in our house seven months now.  We are a bit out of place being a young family, but still.  Summer hit and all the weekly meeting groups disappear, minus my woman's group that I really enjoy. (Often the only time I leave the house that whole week other than to grocery shop).  I used to plan more...playdates and trips to the park, but with six kids leaving the house is work.  It takes 30 minutes to get everyone ready and in the care.  4 of my kids need help with everything!

Even all that being said, I can still find time in the day to write this blog, stay in touch with people, have a five minute chat.  I would still like to live in a world where those things matter and count.  Feeling isolated seems to be part of motherhood, but has it gotten harder now that a glance at a page counts as staying in touch?  I am interested to know what people think. Drop me a comment if you want.

1 comment:

  1. I felt that, given all the sentiments in this post about the isolation and anonymity of our tech-driven world (which I completely agree with!), I should actually post a comment to say that I really enjoyed reading your thoughts. Instead of my usual, which is to read anonymously. Thanks for sharing about your life--I always find it interesting and thought-provoking! :) ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete