Saturday, August 15, 2015

Nectarine Fried Rice

So the original idea was pineapple fried rice, but I was lacking ingredients. We didn't actually have a pineapple. Without the main ingredient, I searched the shelves of my fridge for a new creation.

We were at the end of the farm box, and I had been putting off practical things like going to the grocery story. What was actually left? Some evil looking red beet leaves, a spicy green pepper, and garlic( I recently bought a braid of garlic) were what needed to go into this dinner.

To replace the pineapple's sweetness, I grabbed six super ripe nectarines. They tasted great in oats so why not rice? My daughter recently labeled peaches as the other mango, so there was even a vague sense of tropical appeal. I diced them up and wished for the best.

Two cups of riced cooked in a large pot with a tablespoon of coconut manna, garlic, and the spicy green pepper.

In my frying pan I scrambled six eggs, while I waited for the rice to be finished. The end was simple. Peaches, scrambled egg, beet leaves, and small square cut pieces of deli turkey meat were added to the large pot of rice.

The look of this stuff was colorful and much pinker than most of what we were accustomed to eat. I told my kids this dinner was basically sugar in a bowl.

The result was a new favorite meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment