Monday, June 25, 2012

The Kitchen: Sourdough Success!


Just when I thought sourdough bread was not possible, I figured it out.  Maybe I should mix up my ingredients differently and see what happens.  YES!  I got some fabulous bread that is predictable no matter what.  If it is typical northwest rain, I still get nice bread and if it is not, bonus, still nice bread!  After about a month or more of feeding my sourdough starter, I finally understand why it so great.  I don't have to find little packets of yeast in my pantry.  There is no need for sugar or honey to cause a reaction.  My fermented dough, makes the loaf.  All one needs are rye berries, wheat berries, all purpose flour, salt, and water.  This bread is really healthy and tastes great.

I have used the same dough to make baguettes, sandwich loaves, and it does not matter what shape, it still turns out nicely.  I like making sandwich loaves because there is a smaller amount of crust and my kids prefer it.  This bread is mostly hand milled flour, but to get a nice texture I do add a little bit of all purpose flour.  I could probably make it all hand milled flour, but my littler kids would not be able to chew it, so it is a small compromise, but worth it.

Use 3/4 cup sourdough
1 3/4 cup water
4 cups hand milled wheat berries
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt

Mix ingredients, knead, shape, and set in the oven (turned off) overnight about 12 hours.  Then wake up and bake bread in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Place a pan of water on the bottom rack ( so you get a nice crust).  Volia, fantastic sourdough bread!  I plan on making more tonight.

To add to the fun, one can use sourdough for much more.  Our Friday night pizza is now made with my sourdough crust  (recipe also found in this blog).   The whole family gets to be a part of this.  So really having a batch of sourdough is really not that much work, and the rewards are many.  I do not have to wait 10 days to add it to pancakes, cinnamon rolls, burger buns, and so much more.






How does one make sourdough?  Just make sourdough with equal parts of rye flour and water.  I hand mill rye berries, but one can just buy rye flour.  Add more mix everyday and don't forget to use the stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment