Friday, June 22, 2012

Me: 30 Years Old


Here I am enjoying a Birthday cupcake that I made for myself.  Before judging why I do not have someone else making me cake, remember that I love baking.  One of my favorite things to do is make birthday cakes for everyone in my family.  My mom is making Charis and I small birthday cakes on Sunday, but my kids expected a cake for me today.  So as I thought about cake, I started to crave it more.

Now for my readers who have been following my postpartum weight loss journey, one knows I am really trying to have more discipline over things like this.  I have promised myself I never want to go to a party and say no to cake or food, but I also want to make sure I do not have too much.  Life is about balance and yes, sugar is not so great, but once in a while, eat some.  So I set out to make the cupcakes slightly better (they are still basically cake, but oh well).

For the cake (makes 8 cupcakes)

1/3 cup of organic butter
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup of organic unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup organic whole cane sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup of milk

Mix everything but milk and flour.  Then alternate adding flour then milk until you have a creamy batter.
Place in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Fudge Icing

1 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp organic whole cane sugar
1/3 cup butter
2 tbsp milk
1 cup of powdered sugar

mix all but powdered sugar together in a small sauce pan over a low heat burner.  Then use a whisk and add powdered sugar.  This will make a stiff dough like icing.  One can even shape into in to fudge, but I just tried to smooth it over the cooled cupcake.  Yum, this stuff melts in your mouth.

This cake is 358 calories a cupcake (yes I am counting my calories still to stay on track).  The organic whole cane sugar adds a slight caramel flavor. 

I enjoyed every bite of my cupcake this morning with a nice cup of decaf coffee.  What a lovely morning treat.  Making the cake was almost more fun than eating it.   


No comments:

Post a Comment