Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Me: 8 Years of Marriage

Most of my posts focus on my kids and the home, but we would have none of this without my spouse.  Twelve years ago I remember coming back from a worship meeting and telling my roommate that I might have met a man I could picture marrying.  I was right!  I did marry him, but it took another couple of years for the romance to begin and within a year of that we were engaged and married.

People often talk about fate, destiny, and meant to be.  I agree and disagree with this statement.  I think that people are attracted to who they love, but there has to be a reason why people are attracted to many people.  If they were not, then dating would not be such an attractive option.  My husband and I met at the right place and the right time, probably.  He and I both liked each other from the beginning.  Our secret stories of how we liked each other correspond as if we wrote the perfect novel.  However, actual love involves a choice.

I could have decided that being with this wonderful man was too challenging for me.  We might have thought putting off dating, courting according to him, could have been a better solution.  However, for some reason, we both felt drawn together, our senior year of college. 

People thought we were crazy for getting married young.  I never pictured myself a freshly graduated college student and a newly wed, but there you have it.  Now I cannot picture my life any other way.

Getting married young does have its difficulties, but the positives far out weight the negatives.  We have gotten to build our life together.  Maybe we are not rich, but if children were more important culturally than money, we would be beyond rich.  I have very much become the person I am because of my husband.

My husband has encouraged me to dream even more than a crazy idealistic person like me has already dreamed.  He has supported my love for writing, cooking, making things, and much more.  I know that without him I would most likely know myself less.  It is as if being married is like waking around with a mirror that always tells you the truth if you are a blessed as me.

I am thankful that my husband and I have decided to love each other more every day.  I am so blessed by his presence in my life.  He is my best friend and a wonderful father to our children.  After eight years I love my husband even more than on our wedding day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment