Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Kitchen: Get Dinner on the Table

I have to admit, I love the kitchen, but there are plenty of days I just do not feel like making dinner.  Here are my ideas for quick family friendly meals.

The latest favorite is slow cooker rice and beans.  I basically make two cups of each and add 8-10 cups of water.  Most of the time I even put 1/2 cup of salsa into the mix.  Then later in the day I only have to think about adding to this.  One can eat it like soup or burrito filling.  Add cheese, sour cream, avocado, more salsa, black olives, there are many ways to change this around.  Tonight I added sweet corn because we had some from our farm share. 

My next go to quick family dinner is blended veggie soup with grilled cheese sandwiches.  This meal always includes something the my baby can eat.  She feels a part of the family meal and I know all my kids are eating their veggies.  We like leek and potato soup, carrot and yam, and other mixes from our farm box.

One other idea of for dinner in an hour of less is homemade hamburgers and oven fries.  I recently learned that the best oven fries are made by boiling the sliced potatoes in water for 20 minutes and added butter or oil and baking them in the oven for 30-40 minutes in a 400 degree oven.  My hamburgers are bread crumbs for two slices of bread (a great way to use the heels the family does not want to eat) 1-2 eggs, and 1 pound of hamburger meat (organic, hormone free).  To add a kick to these burgers I throw in some chopped spinach so my kids get to eat cool green hamburgers and vegetables without realizing it.  They love these.

So if you are dreading dinner, don't feel alone.  We all dread cooking dinner sometimes.  If we had more money, maybe I would beg my husband for takeout more, but I am glad that quick meals can be put together at home too.



No comments:

Post a Comment