Monday, May 19, 2014

My Workout Journey Postpartum


I promised to post pictures a few posts ago, but it has taken me this long to finish my final fit test for Lindsey Brin's Pretty Fierce Lean Out.  When I worked through Pretty Fierce Weight Loss I saw the scale drop a bit, but during Lean Out it crept up and today I am back to the weight I was at when I was started.  I would be depressed if I was just focused on weight but I am not only looking at that.  All my measurements are around an inch less in 9 weeks and I can wear clothing I never could.  Some of my clothing is falling off so this is great.  I was thrilled to see my mile and half run time was a minute and eight seconds less!  As a former cross country runner this is awesome for me.  At best I ran in the low 8 minute miles and now I can run a 9 minute mile.  There is some good progress happening.  After having six kids, I know it will take me a bit longer to reach my goals.  This is how I looked about five months after having my first baby, right before I got pregnant several more times. 

Weight loss is such a personal thing.  People want to look different for many reasons.  I know after baby number two I did not know if I would ever like wearing my clothing again.  We like to tell each other that it doesn't matter that pregnancy has changed our bodies and everything is fine, but I did not feel fine.  In my case I kept having babies and so this is the longest I have had since baby number three to even attempt to get back into shape.  I have said this speech in my blog many times. 

Yes, I am not super thin yet.  I also looked at some things that most people do not account for in a weight loss battle.  I have been pregnant, breastfeeding and a combination of both for nine years!  That is right.  In some of my reading I see that women often don't shed the last ten pounds or so until the breastfeeding is over.  Keeping that in mind I can keep flattening my tummy, but maybe the weight won't change.  At 116 pounds I am only just over that ten pounds of extra weight.  I am still breastfeeding with no plans to stop unless little Isaiah no longer want to nurse.  So far, no signs of that at almost thirteen months old. 

What is next for me?  There are a few more Pretty Fierce months I could work on, but I think I need to give my body a break.  I still plan to workout, but I want to go back to some of my favorite workouts.  I miss ballet, but I will be working on The New York City Ballet workouts 1 and 2, Jillian Michaels Yoga Burn, and some running when I can get outside.  I need to add some more cardio to this routine.  I would love to take a Zumba class but money will not allow that right now.  Maybe I will search on YouTube.  The great thing about actually being in shape is that I feel like I can pick some new workouts and not worry about injury as much. 

As for new goals, I do hope to see my old weight of 101 pounds again, or maybe my 95 pounds from before college (but I am not sure if my high school weight is a realistic goal).  Maybe not tomorrow, but sometime.  I am more focused on being as healthy as possible.  I enjoy feeling strong enough to take my kids on adventures and working on projects for our new home.  I am also thankful for my husband's support in my commitment to morning workouts.  He makes the breakfast and gets up the kids to help me make this happen.

1 comment:

  1. Marion! You look great :) It's been a long time, I hope you are doing well.
    -Camille

    ReplyDelete