Monday, March 2, 2015

Port Townsend Living

Sometimes I am not grateful for what I have because I get caught up in the fact that the average age of people living in Port Townsend is 52 and that my family is only one of a handful of families at church.  However, there more things about Port Townsend than the ages of it occupants and lack of generations.  I know that I can take my family to certain businesses and be greeted with cheer.  I know the food will be amazing and that it is sourced carefully.

Recently, I noticed that I seem to get hives when I eat peanuts and soy.  I have not been for official allergy tests, but from what I can tell, if I stay away from these products I am fine.  This made me really sad since I LOVE Thai food.  The problem is solved here in Port Townsend because of this wonderful restaurant called The Banana Leaf.  This is a family owned business with the best Thai food in town.  Not only is the food authentic and beautifully presented, but it is also a place that welcomes kids and families openly.  The first time we went to the restaurant, we had four kids, then five, then six, and all of these times we have been treated well and our kids have been kept happy.  The wait for food is short and since my peanut allergy, I have been able to get all my food free of allergens.  I also noticed another family while I was there a few months ago who had similar problems and the restaurant worked nicely with them also.  Thank you Banana Leaf for making your restaurant feel like a meal at a friend's house.  I love this restaurant.  P.S. the coconut ice cream is made in house with real chunks of fresh coconut flesh.

Next, my favorite breakfast in town is served at Sweet Laurette's Cafe & Bistro.  If you like the idea of coffee made with homemade caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, or even chocolate sauce infused with orange peal, then this is an experience you don't want to miss.  Of course all the usual coffee beverages await you as well and three different kinds of chai.  Organic free range eggs are an option and one can choose from basic breakfasts such as steel cut oats or classic egg and bacon, to farmers scramble and lemon and blueberry dutch baby.  I usually order the farmers scramble because it is slightly different depending on what seasonal veggies are available.  Don't forget to check out the coffee shop if you are not looking for a whole meal.  There are French style treats that bring back my memories of Nantes and Paris.  Laurette loves kids and there is a box of toys in the cafe.  We have gone there as a retreat and my kids have played happily while my mom and I drank cups of coffee.  The outdoor seating for the meals is also great in the summer.  The scents of herbs in the air may make you feel like you are in Provence.  I have not been to dinner at this restaurant, but it is on the list for our next date.

Now lunch can be tricky, I don't usually go out to lunch, but the best fish and chips in town is at The Silverwater Cafe.  Sweet potato fries are an option.  Their menu if filled with plenty of other options.  I also enjoy their tea menu with flavors you cannot find just anywhere.  My husband and I have also enjoyed the Silverwater Cafe for romantic dates including meals of steak and hazelnut halibut.  This is another great place for a kid friendly meal.

Speaking of tea, I love Pippa's Real Tea.  You will find every flavor of tea under the sun.  There are fruit infusions that my kids love because they like to eat the fruit when the tea is gone.  This is also a very kid friendly business for a morning or afternoon treat.  

If you love pizza, you have to have a slice, or a whole pie, at Waterfront Pizza.  This is not just pizza, but the perfect combination of flavors.  You can also build your own, but I have never wanted to because the Greek pizza and the pesto combo are the best.  Their crust is made with a special sourdough starter adding a unique flavor to any topping. 

Better Living through Coffee is a town favorite for all kinds of healthy treats and fantastic coffee!  I usually buy their coffee beans to have at home.  This is a better adult retreat, but I have brought my kids here with me often.  There are views of the water adding to experience.  If you want to guess my favorite coffee drink, it is the salty caramel latte.  Also, keep in mind the large drinks have four shots of coffee in them, so you may feel jazzed all day long.  

So yes, this is all about food.  All of these places are happy to see children in their businesses and the food is affordable.  I love the fact that I can go out to eat in Port Townsend and feel a home in the many amazing restaurants.  If you ever visit, you will probably get to go to one of these places.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment