Friday, March 13, 2015

The World of Mom

For those of you who follow my blog, you know I love to write about pregnancy, postpartum, and some other random stuff.  I sat down the other day and realized I am not spending much time writing about being a mom.  For so many years I've been mom growing a baby, so I kind of let the mom title slip.  Let's also be real, I have an almost 2 year old, a 3 year old, a 4 year old, and a 5 year old in my mix of six kids.  Wiser moms than me have said, "I blocked out a lot of those early years."  I know what they mean. 

"Mom, Isaiah is covered in chocolate," I heard Joel calling out to me as I scrubbed a toilet in the next room.  Friday is usually cleaning day unless I'm in the hospital (which happened a couple of weeks ago, but I'm fine now).
"What do you mean, covered in chocolate?" I shouted back.  Seriously?  The chocolate was on a high shelf in the pantry.  How could Isaiah actually get it?
"Um, most of the chocolate is gone.  I just smelled Charis' breath...Dominic's, too.  It smells like chocolate." I'm so thankful my baby didn't eat all the chocolate alone!  Did I mention that we made chocolate chip cookies yesterday?  These children are not deprived from treats.

I rushed out of the bathroom I was cleaning to find Isaiah sitting next to my giant gallon jar (it was one quarter full yesterday) that was almost empty.  His face had a chocolate beard on it and I had only been cleaning for maybe 5-15 minutes.  He looked up at me, as I grabbed the jar away.

I ran up the stairs with baby in my arms and put him safely in his bed so I could clean up.  The left over chocolate chips were covered in water.
 "We were making chocolate pudding on our pretend stove," Charis informed me.  They were not attempting to really make Granny's chocolate pudding.  I'm glad they cannot reach the knobs on the real stove.  I had to smile over how creative they were being, even though I was pretty angry at this point. 

"Go to your ROOMS!" I told all the kids.  Mommy needed a moment to be alone in quiet.  Who was going to throw up?  How much chocolate did they really eat?  It turned out that the chocolate was eaten by several children, so they could not have had that many pieces each.  But, there goes our cookie supplies for a couple of weeks.  If only they knew that those pieces of chocolate could have made even more yummy cookies!

Yes, I love being a mom.  Eating some chocolate isn't the end of the world.  They may not want to sleep tonight, but we did not have to call poison control.  I'm thankful this time it was just chocolate.  We have had moments where a child ate all the teething tablets, or broke something made of glass.  These moments have been worse.  However, being a mother is filled with times that I will probably block out.



No comments:

Post a Comment