Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Kitchen: Sourdough Pizza Crust

After one week of making the sourdough starter, I had so much fermented dough, I did not know where to start.  Making bread is great, but one does not want to eat bread for every meal, at least I do not.  So there are some great recipes for different ways to use sourdough.  After practicing I wanted to try an make up one myself.

Pizza Fridays is a staple in our house now.  I have tried so many toppings and about three different crust recipes.  Now I wanted to add sourdough and skip the brewer's yeast.  So this it what I did.

1/2 cup of sourdough starter (Mine is 1 cup rye to one cup water and it took about 10 days thought it should only take 7)
4 cups of freshly milled hard red winter wheat berries
1 cup of water
pinch of sea salt
about 1/2 cup unbleached white flour (for dusting when shaping dough)

Mix all but the last ingredient in a bowl/ mixer
then remove and finish by hand.  Place dough on a flat floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes.  I put my dough in the fridge and then took it out about 4 hours before making the pizza.  One can just shape pizzas.  ( I like to use parchment paper under each crust)  Heat up the oven to 450 with pizza stones.  Then bake each crust for about 10 minutes. Put on sauce and toppings and bake for 10-15 more minutes.  This recipe made 3 crusts.

No comments:

Post a Comment