Sunday, May 6, 2012

Projects: Knitting a Dish Cloth

I am going back to one of my favorite activities of all time, knitting.  The sewing machine is in the closet so we can have our living room back for now, and I am going through all the old yarn I currently own.  One of my goals is to find a project for all of it.  In some cases I do not have much left at all. 

Three years ago I knit a cotton orange sweater.  It was the first sweater I ever made and I love the yarn I used.  I had a very small amount left and no idea what to use it for.  After looking at knitting books for inspiration, I decided to make a dish cloth.  It was really simple, plus I did not have to spend more than an hour making it.


I did not use a pattern, I just decided it might be fun to have a mild lace pattern and a good border. 

This is left over Cascade Pima Cotton
I used size 4 needles
Cast on 40 stitches
K 5 rows
Line one :  K 5 stitches K 3 K2T yo K until the last five stitches and K 5
Line two: K5 P until the last five stitches K5
Line three: K 5 K 2 K2T yo K2T yo until the last five stitches and K 5
Repeat line two
Repeat lines one through four
Knit across
Purl across
Knit across
Purl across
Repeat beginning pattern
make until almost a square and then K the last five rows and cast off. 
This project was fun to make and I actually look forward to washing dishes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment