Monday, February 10, 2014

Week 6: Pretty Fierce Weight Loss (Lindsey Brin)

I only have two more weeks to go until I complete all of Pretty Fierce Weight Loss!  My weight has stood still this week, but I am not worried about that yet.  I seem to see a bunch of weight loss and then none and then some again.  Plus, I am glowing from being told by a someone at a shop I frequent (but maybe every 3 months or so) that I look great and I must have lost a lot of weight.  The true test is when people who barely know you can tell the difference, right?

This week is going to be tough with workouts.  My husband's new job has him leaving the house earlier and earlier.  Sometimes he is gone by 6:30 A.M.  I have had to change up my routine to fit a workout in after I put the kids to bed, but it is far less fun because I am then telling the kids to go to sleep constantly as I attempt to get the most out of my workout.  This is why mom's join the gym and just leave for a break.  The last week of workouts has a session that is over 70 minutes long, so figuring out how to get this done will be interesting.  I might be up super early that day.

Other thank working out, I am still attempting to find time to read.  I like quiet, so having the kids running around is not going to work.  Tim gave me one of his books to read and I hope to get it finished by the time we have our romantic Valentine's day dinner.  I don't always read what he reads, in fact he reads, and I write, but I promised him that my gift would be a conversation on the book of his choice this year.  Usually I just listen while he talks about his books.  It is not that I don't miss learning new topics, but being a mom fills 90% of my brain and the 10% left is used for projects.  However, I miss college and I miss great ideas and meaningful conversations, so it is time to attempt to add this back into the mix.

It is now almost one year since the estimated time of my dad's passing.  People say it hits hard again around this time and they are not kidding.  All of a sudden it feels like yesterday that I had the last conversations I would ever have with my dad.  I miss our trips with the kids.  My dad always took us on walks, trips to the lighthouse, aquarium visits, and so much more.  This is now missing and I wish he was still here to be a part my life.

The kids are missing him again too.  They go through periods of time where they talk about him a lot.  This is one of them.  He was going to take them camping last summer and they are still sad they never got to go.  They tell Isaiah that he would have loved my dad.

There really is no cure for the pain other than to feel it and find some peace in it.  I wish there was a zap of joy you could have to counter the pain, but pain is there and it is real.  31 is too young to no longer have a dad.  I think about how much more he could have been around to see.  It saw a lot of my failures in my 20s.  I am thankful he got to see most of my family, but we should have had more time.

Homeschooling is now a set part of our life.  We are making it work and getting everyone involved.  This week the little kids are involved in Joel and Ellie's mini play on firetrucks.  This play is a musical with their songs and dances to go with.  We plan to show Granny at a Sunday night dinner.  It has been a dream of mine to have all our kids be a part of dance together.  I can see that happening now. 

My new kitchen discovery is all about almond meal.  It is expensive so I got in bulk from Azure Standard.  We have been making fruit muffins using almond flour instead of flour and these muffins are filling.  Greek yogurt goes really well with them too.

Here is my recipe:
4 cups of Almond flour
3 eggs
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
1/2 cup fruit
4 TBSP melted butter
bake for about 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven

line the muffin tin with 12 cups and fill evenly.  These muffins stay about the same size when cooked.  Ice with 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt and 1 TBSP of honey.  You will love them:)

No comments:

Post a Comment